It is an ideal touring centre for north and mid-Wales. The area is ideal for climbing, walking, cycling, fishing and bird watching. National cycle routes8 and 21 pass through the town. The ever popular mountain bike centre in Coed y Brenin is 8 miles to the north.
The Mawddach Trail ... familiarised by Julia Bradbury on Tv starts in the town, it is a nine mile flat walk along an old railway line along the shores of the rivers Wnion and Mawddach to Barmouth. It is possible to take a short bus ride to the south of Cader Idris, climb the mountain and then back down the north side and walk into town
There is also a word celli (pl. cellïau), which means "grove" or "spinney", while cell means "cell", and it has been suggested that the name translates as "Meadow of Groves" or "Meadow of [monks'] cells", but this seems less likely considering the history of the name.
The area upon which Dolgellau stands was, in the pre-Roman period, part of the tribal lands of the Ordovices, who were conquered by the Romans in AD 77/78. Although a few Roman coins from the reigns of Emperors Hadrian and Trajan have been found near Dolgellau, the area is marshy and there is no evidence that it was settled during the Roman period. There are, however, three hill forts in the vicinity of Dolgellau, of uncertain origin.
After the Romans left, the area came under the control of a series of Welsh chieftains, although Dolgellau was probably not inhabited until the late-11th or 12th century, when it was established as a "serf village" (or maerdref), possibly by Cadwgan ap Bleddyn - it remained a serf village until the reign of Henry Tudor (1485-1509).